Friday, June 3, 2011

Uncharted territory

We are almost at 35 weeks! That means we've surpassed the point in the pregnancy at which Josiah was born! I can officially say I have never been this pregnant before (that is of course, according to the July 12th due date the doctors have given us). They did measurements of the baby on Tuesday (5/31), and he is now 4 lbs 13 oz. That puts him in the 20th percentile - until now he has been in or below the 10th. The doctors of course feel that we should continue our weekly monitoring despite his growth spurt. I guess I can put up with it, since that is only 5 more times! And yes, I am overdue on a picture of my belly, but will try to get that soon.

We are getting close to being unpacked. After getting rid of 1.5 truck loads of boxes on Craig's list and donating 2 truck loads of stuff we don't need, I am finally starting to believe that we might find a place for everything that we want to keep. It is slowly coming together. I finally found the baby's crib sheets, so I was able to wash them and make his bed. His room is looking more cozy. He won't be sleeping in there for a while, but it makes me feel better to have it more put together. We also uncovered the guest bed over the weekend, so we are officially able to accept guests! They will still have to navigate around the other stuff in the room that has not been put away yet, but at least they have a place to sleep (clean sheets coming soon).

Jason and Josiah left tonight to make the trek down to Dallas for our oldest nephew's high school graduation (congrats Alex!). I am not able to travel that far at this point in the pregnancy. And of course, this being a weekend when I'm here by myself, the air conditioner stopped working today. I was one unhappy pregnant lady in our 80 degree house this afternoon. Jason was able to come home a little early and get it to work again. I am praying that it keeps working all weekend - otherwise I may be spending a lot of time in Springfield at Target (or other air conditioned stores). I'm hoping to get some things done while the boys are away this weekend, but I already miss them. The house is way too quiet.

We live about 45 minutes away from Joplin, MO where the EF5 tornado* destroyed a lot of the city on May 22nd. Last week, Jason was out in our field mowing, when he found an x-ray from the Joplin hospital. It is scary when a huge natural disaster is so close, and debris from the storm literally lands in your backyard. We are so thankful that all of our family (who live much closer to Joplin than we do) is safe, but we are still so overwhelmed by the destruction. If you want to know how you can help the people of Joplin, you can go here for more info: http://www.facebook.com/joplinmo?sk=info

Here is a creepy but cool photo I took of the sky that evening (5/22) after the storm that produced the tornado had passed over where we live.

*The National Weather Service says the tornado that swept through the southwest Missouri town of Joplin was a highest-rated EF5 storm, with winds greater than 200 mph. The twister was the deadliest single tornado to touchdown since the National Weather Service began keeping official records in 1950. It's the 8th-deadliest single twister in U.S. history.


No comments: