Monday, July 11, 2011

Levi

Our little Levi is 5 days old! He is SUCH a good baby. Maybe I have a skewed view of things since it was so rough bringing Josiah home. No fault of Josiah's - it was just hard having a preemie. He had to eat more often (which meant less sleep for us); he was so small and we were more worried about him; and I had to bottle feed him every other feeding, which meant pumping in the middle of the night and cleaning the pump every time. It was exhausting. By the time I would change his diaper, bottle feed him, then mess with the pump, sometimes I would only get 20 minutes of sleep between feedings. Of course part of why it seems easier is probably that we are 2nd time parents and know a little more of what to expect (and are a lot more relaxed). But I still have to give Levi a little credit. He really only cries when he's hungry. He didn't cry when the doctor circumcised him, and he doesn't complain too much when we change his diaper. He figured out how to breastfeed the first time he tried it, and has been a great eater. He has been giving me one 4-hour stretch of sleep between feedings at night, which means I get over 3 hours of sleep at once. That is amazing! I am not sure when Josiah started letting me sleep that long, but I am positive it was not the first week (probably not even the first month). Sorry Josiah - not trying to say anything bad about you - but it is much easier to have a full-term baby!

We went to the doctor today for his weight check. He was 21" long when they measured him at birth, but today at the doctor's office he measured 19 1/4". So either he's shrinking or the measurements are off. I'm guessing his real length is somewhere in the middle. He was 7 lbs at birth, and when we left the hospital he weighed 6 lbs 11 oz. Today he was at 6 lbs 12 oz. The doctor thinks that he probably lost a little weight the first day home and has started to gain it back, so he is not concerned. Other than that they said everything looks great. They even gave him the "cutest baby we've ever seen" award. This is not an actual award they hand out, but I can tell they are wishing it was.

Every time I look at Levi it's like I'm looking at Josiah when he was a baby. Two of the cutest boys in the world! Speaking of Josiah, he does great with his new brother. He likes to touch him and talk to him, but has not been brave enough to hold him yet.
I caught this little grin after I fed him one night. I love his dimples! More pics to come soon!

No comments: