Friday, October 5, 2012

Travel fun and our growing farm

9/14: My cute boys waiting patiently to leave for Ooo Ooo and Paw Paw's house!  About 10 seconds after I took this picture, Levi leaned a little too far forward in that little chair and did a face plant onto the floor.  Big fat lip and lots of tears!
We went to visit my side of the family on the weekend of 9/14.  My uncle and aunt from North Dakota were there - we had not seen them since our wedding 8 years ago!  It was great to see everyone and catch up.

On Saturday we went to a local corn maze, where Josiah decided to run off by himself to check out some bikes they had.  He was lost for about 10 minutes, but it felt like hours.  After we found him, he was crying, and I asked him if he was scared.  He said "no, I just really wanted to ride those bikes!".  I didn't know whether to hug him or strangle him.  I opted for the former.  After that I made him hold hands with an adult at all times.  This kid is almost 5, but if you act like a 2 year old, I will treat you like one.  Despite an afternoon spent at my maximum heart rate, I still had fun (mostly before he ran off), and on the bright side I think I have scared my son into never running away again.
We also got to try out my dad's new (to him) four wheeler.  Jason had just as much fun as the kids!
Levi practiced walking behind the ride-on tractor toy.  We're trying to get in all the practice we can! 
Josiah got to try on my cousin Kurt's fire helmet.  Those things are heavy - he almost fell over!
The next weekend (9/21) we went to St. Louis for our annual Oktoberfest tradition with friends.  It was so great to see them and have time to hang out!

On Saturday we went to Grant's Farm for the afternoon.

The kids got to feed goats (Josiah tried to stay as far away from them as he could - he is hanging on the fence here),
get snow cones, ride the carousel, feed a llama, and see a lot of other animals including camels and eagles.

We also got to see some of the Budweiser Clydesdale horses - they are huge and magnificent.  We really enjoyed the whole Grant's Farm experience!
This picture was taken during a fun little walk in the woods across the street from where our friends live.  Seriously cute kids!  We had a great weekend, and we miss you Hardins and Buhrles!!!
9/29 - Josiah showing off his tool belt.  Love it!  He is in the bed of his Paw Paw's truck.  Thanks for visiting Mi Mi & Paw Paw!
Josiah and Levi "sharing" the toy car. 
10/1 - Levi playing outside - notice the mud around the corners of his mouth.
10/2 - our first calf was born!  We were surprised - we were not 100% sure that she was expecting - she is still so young!  We are thinking she must have been pregnant back in January when we got her, or else the neighbor's bull somehow made a visit to our field!  Either way, it sure is a cute little thing!  Jason got to see the whole birth - he said he was more nervous than when our kids were born!  He came and got me after it was born - around 1:30 am and we watched it for about an hour - the momma nudging it and "talking" to it the whole time to get it up and walking.  It was amazing to watch the miracle of birth, plus the instincts that just came naturally for this first time mom.  Josiah named the calf "Baby What's It's Name".  Baby and mama are doing great!
Couple of notes about the boys - Josiah is doing great with his reading!!  Except the word "the".  He says "is" almost every time.  And he knows how to spell both of them!  Levi continues to refuse to walk (even though he is able to).  He is happy to walk as long as he can hold one of my fingers, but seems to have no desire to walk on his own.  I'm sure he will just decide to take off on his own one day soon - but for now I am getting a great workout helping him walk and carrying him around!  I love my funny, quirky children!

No comments: